Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Zeppelin.....I think that it is understandable that you might look around and inquire and research stuff. I know that I sure have.....
I think that open minded people tend to do this...as they are gathering information to come to their own conclusions....

This is what I have come around to see, by my own observations and experience.....that any tool that might help the addict or alcoholic, "works" to the extent that the goal of the alcoholic is to gain genuine sobriety.
That is the sticky wicket, as I see it....
The deepest, fondest desire of the addicted is to be able to drink "normally"---just the way non-alcoholics are able to do. The idea of giving up their old friend..their security blanket..their zone of comfort....The very thing that has allowed them to cope with their feelings and emotions (good and bad) for years is a terrifying idea.
It would be l ike taking water from a fish or wings from a butterfly.
Alcoholics drink to get the feeling....to feel better. AND...moreover...after a few years...their entire life becomes organized around the ability to drink.

Without the desire to change their lives and a willingness to begin steps to do that...it seems that everything that blocks the ability to drink and get the familiar good feeling benefits....the alcoholic will move away from....
Addiction involves powerful compulsions ---cravings...This originates in the brain function (once addiction is established). This is a hard situation to get a handle on and manage. (manage--it is never "cured").....

I am for any tool that helps.
lol...one can have an array of tools on the table...wrench, hammer, nails, power saw, level, chalk lines, etc....But, they are useless unless there is a person who is motivated to build a house....

Zeppelin, I hope my thoughts on this matter are of some help to you....