Sinclair Method?....??? Has anyone heard??

Old 11-10-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sinclair Method?....??? Has anyone heard??

I feel like I have this huge amount of hope all of a sudden for my ABF, I usually watch a lot of TED talks on different things, and I came across one that talks about a pill that has a 78% success rate for people to stop drinking....HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS BEFORE?! I am not advertising anything, as I do not even know how we would get it! But This is leading to a whole bunch of hope...I've watched a few videos and read about it...Has anyone else heard of this? I figure if Addicts can use pills and shots to control habits, this seems similar!! Am I getting too excited? I dont know, my ABF is in rehab right now...But maybe I can mention it to his counselor when I finally get to see hhttp://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/images/smilies/thankyou.gifim in a few weeks??
Old 11-10-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't know anyone who's ever had success with it--it's one of those things that of COURSE would appeal to an alcoholic--geeze, I don't have to give up drinking!--but as with most things, I suspect that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I suspect if it actually DID have that level of success, it would be universally recognized.

How about if you let your boyfriend's treatment professionals worry about what's most effective?
Old 11-10-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hadn't heard about it so I did some research...although I should admit that my response to anything that sounds too good to be true is to be pretty cynical.

The idea seems to be to take a medication that reduces the "pleasurable" effects of alcohol while continuing to drink, the theory being that over time, your mind will basically say "hey, why bother" and you would no longer be addicted.

Just logically, this seems flawed. Removing the positives as a behavior modification method is always a slow process...much slower than adding in a negative consequence. Yet so many of us drink and continue to drink despite huge and nasty negative consequences...so addiction clearly isn't all that responsive to traditional operent conditioning training methods anyway.

I found a pretty good article that discusses this...https://www.originsrecovery.com/what...nclair-method/
Old 11-10-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Besides, I know my husband, he'd just not take the pill if he was desperately wanting the feeling; or rather more likely lack thereof that alcohol provides. I know some alcoholics like the taste of alcohol, but most of them will drink anything in a pinch, and mine doesn't like the taste of any of them, so I don't see why any of them would ever sign up for a program to drink without the rewards of a "buzz/blackout".
Old 11-10-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Since Sober Recovery advocates abstinence; the Sinclair Method is not encouraged here.
FYI.; You will probably get a message shortly from a moderator and your thread will be deleted.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Zeppelin, I second Lexicat's suggestion of leaving his recovery to him and the professionals. I know this is really difficult to do specially if you have been trying hard for a long time to save this guy.

As well as educating yourself on alcoholism, keep learning about codependency. If you are truly codependent then you will find it super difficult to let go of worrying about him and even more difficult to look at your own problems.

Keep posting and let us know how things are going.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is the message from your Moderator:

Respectful and considerate sharing of experience, strength and hope is always encouraged. Disrespect, harrasment and the posting of medical advice is discouraged. The rules can be found here:

Policies, Rules & Posting Tips - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Mike
Moderator, SR
p.s. This thread is still open.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know all about it. I researched the hell out of it with great hope and excitement and remember phoning my Abf about it all excited for a light at the end of the tunnel like, maybe I was onto something. Since nothing else seemed to work I thought why not try this?! Well, like anything else THEY and only THEY can find their solution. Didn't matter if I traveled to the other side of the world to bring back the cure , it does no good unless they are also on board with their own enthusiasm. I've given him every possible thing I could research that would help. Books, links, advice , support...I was doing all the work and he appeased me by acting half interested. Sinclair...AA....placebo...doesn't matter - the cure begins with them and their commitment to want to get better.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay, I just saw a few videos and "it made sense" to me. It really did, I was walking on sunshine for a few hours, thinking I had found a cure for him that would make him happy, and bring him home soon. I miss him pretty bad right now. Il go back to working on myself. Thanks for the reply's.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There was also some discussion of naltrexone & Sinclair Method a couple of weeks back in this thread, including a post by someone whose husband is taking naltrexone ...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Zeppelin.....I think that it is understandable that you might look around and inquire and research stuff. I know that I sure have.....
I think that open minded people tend to do this...as they are gathering information to come to their own conclusions....

This is what I have come around to see, by my own observations and experience.....that any tool that might help the addict or alcoholic, "works" to the extent that the goal of the alcoholic is to gain genuine sobriety.
That is the sticky wicket, as I see it....
The deepest, fondest desire of the addicted is to be able to drink "normally"---just the way non-alcoholics are able to do. The idea of giving up their old friend..their security blanket..their zone of comfort....The very thing that has allowed them to cope with their feelings and emotions (good and bad) for years is a terrifying idea.
It would be l ike taking water from a fish or wings from a butterfly.
Alcoholics drink to get the feeling....to feel better. AND...moreover...after a few years...their entire life becomes organized around the ability to drink.

Without the desire to change their lives and a willingness to begin steps to do that...it seems that everything that blocks the ability to drink and get the familiar good feeling benefits....the alcoholic will move away from....
Addiction involves powerful compulsions ---cravings...This originates in the brain function (once addiction is established). This is a hard situation to get a handle on and manage. (manage--it is never "cured").....

I am for any tool that helps.
lol...one can have an array of tools on the table...wrench, hammer, nails, power saw, level, chalk lines, etc....But, they are useless unless there is a person who is motivated to build a house....

Zeppelin, I hope my thoughts on this matter are of some help to you....
Old 11-11-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There was a Radiolab episode last year about addiction called "The Fix." The first half of the episode discussed the effectiveness of such as naltrexone to address alcoholism. The second half of the episode focussed on one person who in the beginning seemed to benefit from the drug. However, he then went back to the bottle. He stopped taking the drug because he missed the feeling he had when he was drunk. He had spent so much of his life coping with his insecurity by drinking alcohol that when it was gone he didn't know how to cope. But he's trying to get back on the wagon. And he's back in AA.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Addicts will beg, borrow and steal in order to get their "fix". We codies will also go to great lengths in order to get our own "fix" to fix them.

When it was pointed out to me that often we mirror the addict with our own obsessive thinking and relentlessly seeking out the fix, I had to take a long hard look at that.

What I discovered was, it was true and no matter how much I attempted to deny it, the facts were the facts. See I always looked at it as BUT I am doing it out of love. I am doing what I do because of love, care and commitment and that is what the addict does as well, love and commitment to getting high, escaping reality.

We all come to our own conclusions and do what is best for ourselves. I came to the realization that my idea of a loving and caring mutual committed relationship couldn't be with someone who had the need to escape life and reality as their main coping skill. No matter how great our relationship once was and my ideal of the potential of what it could be, didn't matter because the reality of what is was what I needed to accept and base MY future decisions on.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This would not be a good option as it has you going back to drinking, which is completely counterproductive for someone that's in rehab. Their job is to get them sober, and give them the tools to continue their sobriety once they get out.
It all lays on their shoulders if they truly want to stay sober and continue their treatment to stay that way, or just don't care and go right back to the bottle.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If someone wants sobriety the Alcoholics Anonymous Program works just fine.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Dandylion ...

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
The deepest, fondest desire of the addicted is to be able to drink "normally"---just the way non-alcoholics are able to do. The idea of giving up their old friend..their security blanket..their zone of comfort....The very thing that has allowed them to cope with their feelings and emotions (good and bad) for years is a terrifying idea.
It would be l ike taking water from a fish or wings from a butterfly.
Alcoholics drink to get the feeling....to feel better. AND...moreover...after a few years...their entire life becomes organized around the ability to drink.
Oh this ! That is spot on !

Without the desire to change their lives and a willingness to begin steps to do that...it seems that everything that blocks the ability to drink and get the familiar good feeling benefits....the alcoholic will move away from....
Those are very wise words. I can relate to this in a couple of ways ...

At one point, my ex was addicted to some prescription medication which she had been prescribed by her doctor. She asked me to help her get off this medication by me holding the bottle of medication so that she could only take it when she was supposed to. Each day she would come to me at the times she was supposed to take this medication, and I would give it to her.

I was happy to help her with that, but within a few days of me starting to do that, she became very agitated towards me.

I spoke to my therapist about it, who told me that because my ex was addicted to that medication, that by me being the one who had the bottle of medication, that her addiction saw me as standing between it and the medication it wanted. So I had inadvertantly become the enemy of the addiction. Her addiction blamed me for not being able to have that medication whenever it craved it.

My therapist immediately suggested that I give the bottle of medication back to her and let her manage her doses herself. I was nervous about her having the whole bottle, so we reached a compromise on it where she had a few day's medication to manage on her own, but not the whole bottle. As soon as I did that, my ex's anger towards me subsided.

Similarly, when I was insisting that my ex needed alcohol rehab, I became the enemy of her alcohol addiction. If you think of an addiction like a separate entity, I was the main person standing between my ex's alcohol addiction and it's ability to go on getting the alcohol it craved.

Addiction involves powerful compulsions ---cravings...This originates in the brain function (once addiction is established). This is a hard situation to get a handle on and manage. (manage--it is never "cured").....
On that point, there is a brilliant video series by Dr Fred Von Stieff about the physiological and neurotransmitter changes in the brain as a result of drinking and addiction here ...

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrFredVonStieff/videos

Dr Todd Carran also has a 6 part lecture series about addiction and relapse here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kpOod1xlb0