Old 11-09-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Coping With Fear and Disappointment - Weekender 10-13 November

To The Weekender Thread for

10-13 Novemeber 2016

Hi and welcome to the Weekender Thread!

This is a place where anyone and everyone can come for support - especially over the weekend - but also right through the coming week as well.

All you have to do to join is post - we'd love to see you come aboard :

Fear and Disappointment......

I had no coping strategies for either of them, besides the bottle.

I was a champion future tripper. Every little fear got bigger and bigger magnified and played out to a ghastly end.

That was useful for me as the practising alcoholic, but totally no use to sober me.

I had to retrain myself to look dispassionately at my fear and work at hard at presenting other scenarios to it:

• how do you *know* event X will happen?
  • isn't it just as likely event Y will happen and you'll be fine?
  • Why not apply strategy Z instead and be satisfied you've done your best to mitigate any disaster?

I had to learn to trust myself, and my capacity to solve problems, again - I had to have faith that no matter what happened to me in my world, I'd be ok.

Disappointments been a harder nut for me to crack. I still get disappointed and it can still knock me sideways for a while.

They say the secret is to have low expectations...I've never been able to do that...

What does work, and I know it's not for everyone, but I find strength in my spiritual faith at times when I'm let down:

"Disappointments are just God’s way of saying: I have got something better. Be patient, live life and have faith"

I reckon you could replace God with 'Life' 'Fate' or the 'Universe' there and still get the same message

So yeah...I have an inner emotional gyroscope/compass now I'm sober - sometimes when life is tough and future looks a little bleaker than I'd like, I take a little solace in knowing that, no matter what, I'll inevitably find my feet again and point back towards emotional north.

I will be ok - we all will

D