Old 11-07-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by stillpooh19 View Post
First let me say, It will end, it just takes time. I had a similar experience getting sober. At 10 months i am still experiencing some anxiety and depression, but NOTHING like it was in the beginning. My GP warned me about PAWS when I told her I had quit drinking; she gave all the potential symptoms and warned it could take up to 2 years to recover. She also suggested I take antidepressants to help. Well, I could not tolerate the AD's so i have been left to ride it out without meds. For some people the meds really are helpful but for others it's just another substance to become dependent upon. I think people get misled when the doctor says it's not addictive, when in reality the body and brain DO become dependent on any psychoactive medication, especially AD's and benzos. This means it can be equally as difficult withdrawing from the meds. Make sure, no matter what you choose, to do your research and consult with your doctor. I have found some great resources and support forums to help me through without the meds. Best wishes.
These are wise words. Alcohol is not addictive to most people. My friends can take it ir leave as they please. But it is bad news for me.
And these SSRIs have many side effects, some quite dangerous. They have to be managed in close consultation with your doctor. You can't just stop them if your feel like it. That is one of the reasons I feel they ae more dangerous to alcoholics than other people.

A couple of years ago I was called to a motel in which a drinking alcoholic was holed up. Turns out he had been put on SSRIs in treatment. When he left rehab, he hit the bottle and the pills went straight out the window, which is exactly what I would have done and exactly what should not be done. So he goes off into an extended psychotic episode. He had written his brother's name in blood from his cut wrists, on the wall of the motel room, and the sole of one foot, which had been sliced off when he kicked out a window, was being held on just by his sandal. The only thing to do was call the police and have him locked up for his own protection.

These are not benign pills. They need to be treated with caution and the doctors instructions followed exactly, and call the doc at the first sign of any problems.

The best way forward is complete honesty with yourself and your doctor. That is really the only way a to get the full benefit from a visit to the doctor.