View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SoberLifeForMe

I think I get the gist of the OP's comment, and I actually agree with it, in a sense. It seems well-meaning, if not awkwardly worded.

Here's my take on it: I joined SR on September 7. I've had alcohol-free stretches of 18, 7, 6, and currently another 6 days, along with relapses of 4, 4, and 6 days. Each time, I've asked myself why I didn't stick around SR instead of relapsing. I think that's what the OP was saying. Why not stick around instead of walking away and relapsing? I don't yet know the answer. All I know is that when I stick around here, my resolve to not drink is much stronger, so that's at the top of my current plan.

Returning here after a relapse is embarrassing. I hope to never have to do so again. But if I do, I hope that other SR members will always welcome me back with open arms and friendly advice, as I promise to do for others. This getting clean thing is relatively new to me. It's not a straightforward willpower thing like so many other decisions in my life. It's taken some time and some errors to learn that. I'll likely have more errors along the way.

Since joining, I haven't drank 37 out of my last 51 days. Obviously, I can do better. Those 14 days in there bug the snot out of me. But I also see progress that I haven't seen in 20+ years, both in stopping drinking and in understanding who I am. Without SR and it's welcoming members, none of that would have happened. I hope people here keep welcoming newcomers, and "returners" alike.