View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
French123

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
The first step is the only one that mentions powerlessness....over ALCOHOL. The rest of the steps are about power. Getting it and using it rightly. And if AA is brainwashing, I certainly needed my brain to be washed! Washed of old thinking, old habits, old values, old perspectives.

I am surprised to hear that someone who has been "through" the steps twice feels powerless. And perhaps also that the person didn't have a spiritual awakening and the promises coming true?! That usually signals an outside issue: perhaps depression and anxiety...both of which are real. And not necessarily related to AA. These diagnoses can be crippling and can halt progress, whatever recovery program one is using.

For me, I needed outside help to deal with depression/anxiety issues. I don't usually give advice, but I would NOT make huge changes like quitting AA without talking to other people/therapists first. Being alone up in the head...thinking...thinking, in other words using self on a self problem...is not a good idea IMO.

I hope you feel better soon. I won't say pray about it....because I'm a non-theist! lol

mfanch
I do believe depression/anxiety to be a factor in my situation and I am now seeing a therapist regarding those issues. I have nothing bad to say about AA as a whole and have no intentions of turning anyone off from AA. I just feel that it isn't right for everyone and that I might be one of those people. I don't plan to drop AA completely; I am planning to continue going to my homegroup. However, I need to get my life back and not feel dependent on the program.