View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
French123

Thank you all for your feedback. I actually did investigate SMART recovery and I attended one of their meetings last week. I also found a therapist who I saw for the first time last week; she actually agreed that I need to distance myself from AA. I think AA is great for a lot of people and I would never discourage anyone from going however I think for some people like me it can be damaging. I am someone with very obsessive thoughts and feelings of guilt. I don't think a mind like that mixes well with the black and white thinking of AA. As of now I think my plan is to continue going to my homegroup every Tuesday, go to the SMART meeting every Thursday and see my therapist every Saturday. I hope that this will allow me to break free of the extreme thinking without having to drop AA completely. I am also thinking about moving into my own place in a few months; I currently live with 2 members of AA. Although I consider them good friends, it is tough to deal with the daily guilt and pressure to attend meetings.

I think that it is awesome that AA creates a sense of freedom for some; for me that has not been the case. Hopefully I can get away from this feeling of total powerless and gain my freedom back.