Thread: ACOA resources?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
thousandwords53

Originally Posted by caretaker88 View Post
Thousandwords... I figured Mike would probably chime in, but ACoA isn't exclusive to alcoholic families, but has extended to dysfunctional families as well. I understand completely what you are saying though. It has everything to do with the behaviors within the family. My mother is an ACoA (both of her parents). She has never touched alcohol or any other drug in her entire life, but guess what? She has passed on the dysfunctional behavioral traits of her family of origin. So, in this way, I consider my entire family ACoA's, because in all reality, our behaviors and family dynamics mirror that of an alcoholic's family.... We are just as dysfunctional.

I understand that this can be a very difficult concept, being that there wasn't any alcoholism in my immediate family, but I always thought, what the heck is wrong with me!!!! Then I came to SR for help in the alcoholic relationship I was in and read Codependent No More, when it finally hit me like a ton of bricks. This is me! Yes, it is disheartening at first, but it quickly became a relief to finally have an explanation for the insanity in which I was raised. Now that I have the answer, I can finally heal and change my behaviors, and for that, I am eternally grateful.
Thank you for your reply! I can relate to your story very much. It's insane to me sometimes, that now in my 30's I am *Finally* figuring out so much about myself. It's amazing really. Overwhelming.