Thread: Need to talk
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
romanerin2011

Still sober today, still feel somewhat physically ill. I'll probably remain sober no problem for the next few years or so. But this is my terrible cycle. Years ago when I finally decided I wanted to quit, it was almost like I was so desperate to quit I would intentionally cause some kind of mentally devastating circumstance to make myself see how bad I needed to quit. Then 8 months later fell into it again. I'm not sure if this was all done subconsciously or if I intentionally cause myself pain. But I would start to fantasize, if something terrible happened then I'd realize how much I need to quit. Well I then got a DUI and almost killed myself in a wreck. Bam! I was stone cold sober for 3 years and now this happened. So I'm now in the mindset of I have no doubt I'll never drink again.

I keep creating horrific memories in order to jump start my sobriety, if that is in fact what I'm doing. I don't know if it is, I know I'd sit around and think, if something terrible happened to me I'd bet id stop. Is it possible to get so desperate that I become self destructive in order to save myself?