Thread: Day 52
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Yes, that restless, irritable and discontent feeling is pretty vile isn't it.

Try whatever you need to try (but remember, meetings are only one leg of the AA stool, and if that's all you've been doing then that likely won't be enough to get some real relief. The 12-steps are the program of recovery, worked with a sponsor, and the promises are linked to working these. And even once weve hone thriugh the steps ut takes a lutyle while to fjnd our sober feet so tk speak, and learn to apply the program to all areas of our life, which is when it works best. To give AA 6 weeks to make everything better is kind of optimistic to the point of unrealistic. With AA its a program for the long term, and we get out of it what we put into it. I learned this the hard way, by passively sitting in meetings for 6 months or thereabouts, unwilling to engage in the program (that stuff wasn't for ME!) waiting for the sobriety fairy to fly over and sprinkle me with her recovery dust. It wasn't til I was pretty close to suicidal that I finally got willing enough to do what others had been suggesting for all those months. And then I started to get better. ) Thing is, all programs are going to have bits we're not so keen on. Sure, there are people who cherry pick things and adapt stuff to be their own version of this that or the other. They often then change programme and cherry pick those as well, then wonder why nothing works for them. Obviously, change programmes if you need to, but whichever you go to, try to do it as they suggest you do it, not just the bits that your AV says is okay to engage with.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery, whichever route you choose. BB