Notices

Day 52

Old 10-15-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 52

Well I've made it this far. Proud of myself. I feel no real urges to drink, but my emotions are tripping me out. Have not really felt them this much in a long time. I find myself bored and lonely, but not knowing what I want exactly. I was attending AA regularly, but I'm reading about rational recovery now since I'm not feeling like AA is for me. New job is going well and I'm staying away from situations that revolve around alcohol. I feel good overall.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 52

D
Old 10-15-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on day 52, Joey.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

You're killing it, JoeyG. Way to go.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, that restless, irritable and discontent feeling is pretty vile isn't it.

Try whatever you need to try (but remember, meetings are only one leg of the AA stool, and if that's all you've been doing then that likely won't be enough to get some real relief. The 12-steps are the program of recovery, worked with a sponsor, and the promises are linked to working these. And even once weve hone thriugh the steps ut takes a lutyle while to fjnd our sober feet so tk speak, and learn to apply the program to all areas of our life, which is when it works best. To give AA 6 weeks to make everything better is kind of optimistic to the point of unrealistic. With AA its a program for the long term, and we get out of it what we put into it. I learned this the hard way, by passively sitting in meetings for 6 months or thereabouts, unwilling to engage in the program (that stuff wasn't for ME!) waiting for the sobriety fairy to fly over and sprinkle me with her recovery dust. It wasn't til I was pretty close to suicidal that I finally got willing enough to do what others had been suggesting for all those months. And then I started to get better. ) Thing is, all programs are going to have bits we're not so keen on. Sure, there are people who cherry pick things and adapt stuff to be their own version of this that or the other. They often then change programme and cherry pick those as well, then wonder why nothing works for them. Obviously, change programmes if you need to, but whichever you go to, try to do it as they suggest you do it, not just the bits that your AV says is okay to engage with.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery, whichever route you choose. BB
Old 10-16-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From now on I will only be posting in the secular portions of this site.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

?? Joey, what's up.....I hope you will reconsider, I enjoy reading your journey here.
I am not AA and I am doing okay, almost 3 years, I thank here, SR and AVRT, RR style of recovery.
People like to share what works for them in the hope it could work for you and that is nice.
It is up to you if you take it on board or not.
Congratulations on 52 days, absolutely wonderful, you should be very proud of yourself ...for me getting comfortable with feelings took a while to settle down...there were so many times I felt stark raving sober in the first year...I look at recovery as a marathon and not a sprint and as long as we don't ever have that first drink we are doing ok.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i, too, hope you will reconsider, Joey.
it is a thin line between enthusiasm and proselytizing, and i tend to think often it gets crossed unintentionally. well, i try to tend to think that.
i'm sure i've done it myself.

if you post in secular sections only, it will be a loss to the diversity "up here".
mostly, the "Alcoholism" forum has lots of that; diversity of approaches and people who use them.
an added bonus for me has been the getting-better-at-not-jumping every time i get responses i don't like. or which clearly misunderstand where i'm at or what i'm looking for.
with very very few occasional exceptions, people are well-intentioned.

congratulations on day 52
Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeyG1000 View Post
From now on I will only be posting in the secular portions of this site.
You can do that Joey but I think you'll be missing out on a lot of support.

Most of the people on this site understand there's a multitude of ways to get sober.

If you have any issues with a thread or a poster shoot a PM to ScottFromWI for this forum, or me for Newcomers and Sub Abuse.

Often times we don't know there's a problem til you tell us, y'now? .

D
Old 10-16-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Really?

I'm not entirely sure you read my entire post, otherwise you'd have read this...
Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
... Obviously, change programmes if you need to, but whichever you go to, try to do it as they suggest you do it, not just the bits that your AV says is okay to engage with.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery, whichever route you choose. BB
I'm not saying that AA is th e only way, just urging you to choose a program of recovery that you can engage in FULLY, because AA or not, half measures don't get us comfortable sobriety.

As I said before, I wish you all the best for your recovery, whichever route you choose.