View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Yes I do see that and I do appreciate the concern. I don't want to end up in a loony bin in sobriety and I am scared because I cannot get a freaking handle on my emotions.
As a forum leader I tend to err on the side of caution so whenever I see someone mention the "S" word I kind of go on auto pilot, I didn't mean to alarm you or others.

I get what you mean about the emotions too. My situation is much different than yours, but I dealt with pretty serious health anxiety and GAD which actually got worse about 1.5 years into my sobriety. I too felt very scared about "losing control" and what might happen if I simply went completely off my rocker. I've learned a lot over the last year or so about anxiety from counseling and also a lot from people right here on SR.

I think the most important thing I've learned from them is that it's OK to feel off at times and that as human beings we simply aren't going to be even-keeled and calm all the time. There are so many things in life that are beyond our control and almost every time I had bad anxiety it was because I was either worrying about or trying to control something that was not under my control. I can tell you with absolute certainly that if I were in your shoes and awaiting the results of a cancer screening ( which I was a few years ago ) that I would be extremely anxious. Over the past couple years though I've learned to accept that its OK to be anxious - my issue is that i over-react at times. But there are ways to mitigate that, just as you will be able to find ways to mitigate your issues.