View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
Unfortunately, in some peoples minds, I will always be a drunk. They do not think its possible for an addict to truly have victory. So all of a sudden I'm getting all sorts of "expert" advice on sobriety and beating addiction! Ironic, eh?
This is part of the reason I have become - after learning the hard way, over and over again - to be very selective about the people with whom I share those kinds of details about my life. I had the same scenario you described in another post regarding confiding in your pastor. I left a church for the same exact reason. I dunno, it's like I was viewed as a "project" of sorts and it became very distracting as regards the real reason I was there. It was my doing, though, because I was the one who spilled my guts about my alcohol addiction to begin with. Can't unring that bell.

As for people who think you will always be a drunk and your sobriety won't last... there will always be those kinds of people. My ex wife is one of them. Whatever. It is irritating but I can't let it get to me. I have nothing to "prove" to anyone, especially those who are disinclined to believe me anyway. I know I'm sober, and I know I'm going to continue doing the things that keep me that way. At the end of the day, that's all we really have, I think.