View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Smarie78

I just posted a similar thread about a week ago. I was a regular drinker before I met my Abf. I was a daily wine drinker (not to excess, just a glass), and a big fan of craft beer. While I gave this up for him, he insisted I made it worse not drinking in front of him because it made him feel more uncomfortable being "different". So I met him halfway and still refused to drink or keep alcohol in the house that was mine, but which he frequented daily. When we went out I would have one or two only sometimes, but even with that I felt uneasy and awkward. His Alcoholism has progressed and he is spending more time off the wagon than on so I have stopped completely, even when we are out.

It's a big sacrifice for us normal folk whom are regular drinkers, but it depends on how much you are willng to support your partner. I will however say that, even with me holding back from my own drinking, my Abf fell off the wagon anyways. My drinking didn't stop it or help much at all. If your A is committed to recovery, he will be honest with you and himself on what will or won't help him. If he isn't, he will tell you to go ahead and drink so he could do the same.