View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ooona

Hi Mera,

Great suggestions given by all of the posters here already but I just wanted to mention aomthing that sort of jumped out to me when you were speaking about people calling you all hours, wanting ( needing) your help with the language barriers or giving out your number, not paying for your assistance and etc.

I could relate to this as well because I sort of positioned myself as the 'go to' person in my community for people needing ' help' with certain problems and etc. I was seen as the local 'expert' on certain topics and so like you, would be inundated with calls or people approaching me even in the grocery store, text messages, facebook chat messages coming in day and night. I always told myself and even took pride that I was helping out of the goodness of my heart, doing service and it may have started that way but in actuality it had to do with how this ' need' from others fed my ego. My need to be needed made me feel useful and I prided ( key word PRIDE) myself on that. With no firm boundaries in place, it drained me and the demands on my time just became completely overwhelming. Im not saying these are your motives, I just know I had to honestly look at and question, What am I getting out of this???

Anyway, I have completely pulled out of that role. I HAD to otherwise I could not get sober. I was completely bankrupt and realized I just had no more to give. Im not sure if any of what Im sharing is going to resonate with you but if so I urge you to set some boundaries. We cant allow people to take and take and take, with no deposits being made especially in early recovery.

I know its kind of hard nosed but right now you need to think about whats best for you, your recovery and your family. If the activity isnt benefiting one of those areas, then you need to step back from that, at least for the time being.
We have enough on our plate already, then to have what little energy we do have sucked out of us.

My best to you. Be blessed friend.