View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
kk1k5x

From personal experience - if someone/something else is a big part of why you feel like changing things about yourself or what you do, it's a slippery slope. Even if you go 50-50, 50% because you need it and 50% because you think someone else wishes/requires/hopes you are able to make the change, that's a 50% commitment to yourself, 50% to that something/someone else.
I learned this my own way. I managed 9 months dry so I could graduate from uni. Now, I'm not insensitive enough to make a 1:1 ratio comparison between being with your soulmate and getting a bachelor's, but as far as external reasons for sobriety go, they are not that dissimilar. Thing is, when I got the notification that I had successfully graduated, I drank the same night. Two weeks later I drank again and blacked out, after that, things continued as if there'd been no 9 months. This happened because the reason for staying away from alcohol was external. Your soulmate might have to be away from you for an extended period of time, perhaps. Who holds the reins of your sobriety when 50% of your motivation is absent (for whatever reason, really)?

You can quit the booze, if it's 100% your own choice. In my opinion, that is the only way to make a lasting change - other people/jobs/events/reasons come and go. You must still want to be sober even if you're out of a job, out of money and there's no one there to hold your hand when things get tough for a bit.

My 2 cents. I wish you the best in making the good choice to stay sober.