Thread: Need support
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

qtpi......about your question----I'll make this stab at it...lol.....------
As you know, sick people are frequently cross, angry, fearful and irritable. Some can even be very hostile, demanding, insulting, acting out...etc.
And, that just comes with the territory that we have chosen to work with. And, of course, we learn, early on to detach from the behavior and consider it a part of their illness or condition.
But, still, we are human and not robots. This is what I have found---I can, especially, remember working in psychiatry. Sometimes, about once a month, we were required to work a 10 day stretch...and everyone noticed that, after about day 7, we had a much shorter "fuse" for difficult behavior. Much less patience and even snappish with other staff, more than usual. Then, after three or more days off....we would return, fresh, cheerful, tolerant, and, generally in a better all round frame of mind.
I learned, from that, that when working in a very stressful environment...one had to get their needs met away from the hospital, and, get the batteries recharged, there.
It is a matter of too much going out...and too little coming in. simple, but, very true!
In your situation, it may well be, also, that you are being triggered by the alcoholics and may be projecting some of your anger at the boyfriend onto them. That would be very understandable.
I hope that you are now in therapy or counseling as support for working through your own personal "stuff". Otherwise, a person can get very burnt out.
Burnout is not uncommon in medical high stress areas.....sigh....

I hope these comments are of some help for you.....