Old 09-28-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ladyscribbler

Part of learning how to set boundaries for me was to understand that I had no control over how someone reacted to my boundaries. They are about me and what type of behavior I will accept in my life and relationships.

I think in this case your boundary of no more enabling is also the kindest, most loving thing you can do for this man. It's finally giving him the opportunity to take action to fix his own life and stand on his own, if he chooses it. We can learn a lot by stepping away from the chaos and watching those choices from a distance.

I learned that despite my ex's words about love and devotion to me and our son, his actions proved that continuing to drink uninterrupted and without consequences was actually his first priority. He was devoted to the bottle, above all things, and of course while I was running around fixing things for him and taking care of him I was his "soul mate." That changed when I started enforcing boundaries, in a very rapid and unpleasant way.

It was extremely hurtful at the time. I was sad and angry- with him and with myself. But it ended up being the best thing that could have happened to me. Today I've rebuilt my life, I'm applying to grad school, the kids and I live in a peaceful home, I'm in a relationship with a caring, respectful, responsible man. None of that would happened if I had stayed stuck believing my ex's words when his actions proved over and over that what he said meant nothing.

Glad you're starting to take care of yourself. It will give you benefits beyond anything you can imagine right now. Keep coming back.