View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Mags,
I remember watching the Twilight zone as a very young child. That got me to thinking of how they could terrify with little compared to today.

My whole life I remembered seeing an animated short on the Ed Sullivan show at age 4 that made a large impression and I knew it was real but could never find anyone else that remembered it.

Your comment brought that memory back to me and I did a short search and found it in full. IN the article it mentions one child who watched it alone in a house and is medically documented from fright to have one area of his hair turn white from that point on. Here is the article:
CONELRAD Adjacent: A SHORT VISION: Ed Sullivan?s Atomic Show Stopper

My wife could not sleep without the light on when we were first married after we had gone to the "The Exorcist" in the theater. About the same time we went to see "The Last House On The Left." We were literally sickened and walked out after less than 30 minutes. I could handle it but my wife was really anxious to leave. Today we could watch it and laugh as we have come so far with SFX that we have seen worse SFX many times. Young folks can't connect with the innocence we all had in the 50's and the beginning of the 60s. Then we had the Vietnam war on TV news every night with body counts, starting around 1966.

In 1956 this animated film, showing what an Atomic attack would do, struck all that saw it, yet seems so tame today. I made it clear that hiding under our desks and assuming the position was not going to help.

Here is the Film in full.

Wolf,
My wife doesn't like Sci Fi per se and falls asleep so she would watch "The Sopranos" and we watched it while I stayed up and finished all of "Justified" myself.

I haven't gotten back to Season 2 since episode three so am behind. It was getting a bit disjointed so I am interested to see the rest.

Wolf,
If you start wit the firs season first episode from 1959 to the last of the 156 episodes when it ended in 1964, you see a sea change in what the West was thinking at that time through assassinations, and the beginnings of the Vietnam conflict.

Dharma,

Blacklist is losing us too live every week. We watch several over the air (OTA) shows most nights so only can binge watch late night when she is not working. When she is I catch up on my shows like Justifies and Mr. Robot.

Vultures circling a church service? Now that is spooky.

Sassy,
I spent age 7-18 in Stamford CT. One GF was well taken care of as her father was killed in a fiery car crash and burned beyond recognition. Another girl Diane, an acquaintance not gf owned a horse at our hack stables where I worked as a trail guide for the rental riders. They had a house much like Tony and the Sopranos. He was the biggest bookie in S. CT at the time. The Italian restaurant I worked at one time had the daily "Numbers Game " Number chalked on the corner of the chalk board. The runner would come take bets and pay off winners daily. Folks from elsewhere have no idea how "accepted/tolerated" it was then. I hear ya.

Have they released the 3rd season of Bosch yet? I loved that show too.

Glee,
Thanks!

I also was forced in my medical detox follow-on rehab in residence, which I quit after three days, to attend meetings and hated it even though only one. It was a combined narcotics and AA meeting and the folks there were not my peers I thought at the time. Today if I needed AA still, I would get something out of it, but I don't do that part of town as a rule anytime.

I did use AA for my first three months after having some folks here talk me into it for RW F2F reality checks. I was there only for support with my PAWS as in will I ever be rid of these symptoms? IN 90 days I was over the worst, and by six months had only memory issues to heal, and physical toning which were both done by year one.

Drake,
I never relapsed and won't (I can see all the others rolling their eyes and thinking I am not humble and am heading for one.) But I liked my little home group in a better neighborhood, good folks. However they were a great support for me when I was scared of my physical crazy PAWS. I think it was my body dealing with the sudden cessation of quitting smoking three packs a day too. In hindsight I am very glad I did a safe, in hospital, seven day medically supervised detox. I once or twice thought it might be better to drink and get over a rough patch of PAWS. Then I would weigh the risks of never being able to get this far if I drank, because I would have to go through the PAWS again!

I am never going through that again.

But I will say Drake that AA has yet to kidnap and brainwash anyone, and though AA Heresy, you can take what you can use and leave the rest. Having a sponsor to team up with against drinking can be the critical piece you need. Try a weeks worth of meetings at a nice location that matches your neighborhood. It sure is nice to be in a group in RW That is non-judgmental, and will listen as no one is allowed to interrupt. If the steps and the full program suits as it does many then no loss whether you do or walk away after trying it out. I have done a medical detox, group counseling, one on one counseling, a few days of IN residence rehab, and here. And before I found the VA program, my GP doc was keeping me monitored, and tested me every two weeks for three months after I quit.

All that does not intimidate me, and I am in no danger of ever relapsing, because when I quit, I had had enough. The only consciousness changer (other than my coffee all day) I have had since was one .25 Xanax, for my MRI week before last, and in year two I mistakenly picked up one of my wife's scotch water and lime and took a sip and spit it out not swallowing one drop. I watched a movie to be sure but I felt no buzz from the Xanax but it did make my "MRI only" claustrophobia easily tolerated. I got three prescribed in case they decided to do two, and flushed one and kept one if I ever need another MRI in the next couple of years.

I think the key is to not want to ever drink again because it limited or eliminated my quality of life. My living will says DNR. I sure am not going to destroy the quality of my life that is left by my own hand that I can stay forever much more easily than I can come back from a disease or trauma making me terminal, and unable to live off machines.

I don't miss it at all. It isn't deprival, it's only survival.

Hi Toots and Andy!

Gil,
I never got into Doc Martin like "Downton Abbey." Years ago I Loved "Waiting For God" and watched all the reruns on PBS like I did "M.A.S.H." reruns when nothing else was on. Today with all the entertainment choices I do not have to watch old show reruns like comfort food.

Carlos,
Well said!

FBL,
When we dropped cable we could not watch a lot of the cable fare but now can with Sling TV and Fire. "Better Call Saul" is on my late night list. My SH won't like it but neither of us wants to watch ahead of the other on the shows we both love. Funny but for you guys in the US with Broadband and unlimited data plans at home with Cable, you can get Sling TV and it adds fine to the Fire TV as well as computers or the Roku. It costs per month what it costs for one cable or premium channel to stream alone. With Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Sling TV (Real time cable channels, not months later) we have the best of all with 50% less than the cost of basic cable. And no contracts or fee bundling and raises to current customer while giving new ones Cable TV and Internet for1/3 of what they are charging us. Any competition will get my biz.

Sassy,
Blue Bloods is one of my must see weekly Network shows, I bet they like writing for the Cop side. There's another show called "The Good Place" I think with Ted Danson that is hilarious. I don't know how much they can do without getting like Gilligan's Island, where we knew they could neither rescue or kill them.

RZ,
Thanks, you're just saying that 'cause it's true!

Amp!
WB bud! Good to hear you are hangin'.

Hi FTG, Andy, and Star!

I have the antenna installer on the roof and the A/C guys are coming over to replace our inside A/C coil. It has a slow leak. It is in warranty but was found the day before the one year warranty ran out and the local guys are making good on it!

Now if I can just get the dates for the surgeries for Halloween I have two RV Buddies that can come over and babysit me for one day and night for each surgery so we can leave my SH here when her dad is getting worse by the week. My family in Florida are over on the other side and us retired folks can baby sit our friends with no livelihood impacts.

Have a great week Overs!