View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bunny211

Hi there. I was SO LONELY when I first got sober. My sponsor pushed pushed pushed me to make new friends. She kept telling me I couldn't live in a vacuum...and she was right. What sorts of things are you interested in? I really had to change my friends around when I got sober and it was hard. I met a lot of folks through AA but I branched out as well. I started joining some MeetUp groups involving outdoorsy activities. I began walking and hiking more and more. I joined a church and attended a beginner's Bible study (I'm such an irreverent person that this was laughable at the time) and made a wonderful friend there. She moved back to Colorado in June and last week I flew out to see her...together we hiked a glacier, saw the "Garden of the Gods" rock formations, drove to the top of Pike's Peak and tried out some super awesome Mexican restaurants in the Colorado Springs area. Her husband is a funeral director and I got to do a ride along and pick up a body from the Denver Airport and observe a cremation. Try some new things...be open to discovering what you like and what you don't...and I am sure things will fall into place for you! What an exciting time....when you get sober you get to figure out who you are and what you like to do...what sorts of people, places and things interest you. I had NO CLUE I was outdoorsy. I also had no clue I would be drawn to organic food and body care, sustainable goods etc. I got sober and started to realize what my values were...and they surprised everyone, especially me! I always thought I was a glamour girl...getting dolled up in the latest makeup items from Sephora, and some killer heels. Turns out I really prefer essential oils and organic lip balm and a pair of hiking sneakers. Crazy! Sobriety should be joyful. Take some steps to figure out what God has in store for you...you'll be amazed!