Old 09-16-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
nomis
Recognizes the Beast

Hmmmmmm, good question. I can't give a definitive answer, but I think the one I'm about to give probably won't generate a whole lot of "thanks" and that's ok.

I realize that the overwhelming "NO" to the answer on this post is generated by a sense of personal accountability that is so essential in recovery. Laying our problems at the feet of others just doesn't work when in comes to addiction. In my experience, it causes resentment in others or in the worse case scenario, makes others sick as well. Certainly doesn't fix the problem.

HOWEVER, I also view addiction has a mental health problem, with emphasis on health. And like all other health issues there is such a thing as preventative care. In my case, the preventative care that I received clearly didn't cut it, as it didn't stop me from taking that first sip.

Education is the key. What I received were warnings that alcoholism runs in my family and the cop coming into my class tell us that it would ruin our lives. Both messages clearly didn't stick.

I saw a statistic the other day that showed their was a higher correlation between childhood trauma and adult substance abuse than between obesity and type 2 diabetes. People who have had traumatic childhoods should be aware that they can never, ever drink, for reasons that their brains simply don't function like a normal, developed one.

In any case, that's my two cents, prevention through education.