Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
August252015

Interesting topic....

My King and I are both sober and we talk about every aspect of our recovery program, share devotionals, meeting stuff, whatever "secular" books we read, really any and all life-building stuff we can get our hands on. We dated in high school and reconnected this summer - once both of us were already sober. We talk all the time about the fact that our relationship is completely different from any either of us has tried before, and we are working individually and together to build the strongest foundation for the long run. His ex-Queen stayed a drinker and that was one of the main factors in their divorce. I had my own enabling/drinking relationship(s). I couldn't be with someone who wasn't committed to sobriety, and the fact that our efforts line up so closely is amazing. I wouldn't be the person who deserves this kind of relationship, nor would he, if we were still drinking.

I should add to this that no matter how much I love him, I will not be able to stay in a relationship with him if he were to drink again. That simply won't work for me.