View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tomsteve

"I have read that so many of you suggest attending AA and I have finally found the courage to ask my neighbor, who is a great guy and attends regularly , to take me with him to his next meeting. I have been terrified for some reason to go, I know it makes no sense and I wish I understood why I felt this way. "

good on ya for asking yer neighbor and finding the courage!
yes,it does make sense!
fear of the unknown- what life without alcohol will be like?
if that be the case, it DOES become good and EVERY promise that is in the big book that says will occur will occur for you if you work for it.
PLEASE have the courage to ask about getting a big book!

fear of seeing people you may know?
if that be the case, what better place to see them than somewhere safe and helpful!!!
PLEASE dont be afraid if this is the case! more than likely if you do see someone you know, they will be happy and greatful to see you there!

heres how my 1st meeting went:
i,too, was ready to do ANYTHING. drove to the meeting,backed into a spot, put my car in drive, drove home and cried all night. i just couldnt figure out why i couldnt walk in there.
next night,same place, this time with every ounce of courage i could muster, i made it through the doors!! i knew the chairperson from previous meetings(court ordered and i wasnt ready). he smiled and said," its good to see ya made it back. welcome!"

the ONLY thing i said at that meeting was,"im tom im an alcoholic and i cant take it any more" and cried the rest of tbe meeting.
i didnt have to say anything else. those people knew what i meant without knowing, if that makes sense.

jch, PLEASE let us know how it went,eh
and maybe even make this a thread to keep an update and ask questions?