Thread: Hangover
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Benjamin123 View Post
Thank you

I've been thinking I should go to a meeting but I'm nervous , I don't find it easy talking about myself and I'm worried I'll get emotional , I just cried a moment ago and it felt good to let something out for a change

I was going to go to a meeting about 2 months ago when I made an error of judgment and drinking could have but thankfully didn't cost me my job - but I talked myself out of it and said I could quit on my own , I think i lasted a week not a great effort

It's scary thinking about never drinking again - how sad is that ? But I guess it's another reflection of my problem

I've always had addictions - in fact thinking about it I can't do many things to a sensible degree

I suppose I better get up and face my day - I want to talk to my partner but I feel ashamed
my first meeting all i could say was," im tom, im an alcoholic and i cant take it anymore" and cried the rest of the meeting. i didnt have to say anything else- those people understood exactly how i felt. i cried at quite a few meetings after and even years in a few times.

the scarey thing about quitting drinking for me was fear of the unknown- i had no clue what life without alcohol would be like. but i had a few things going for me:
i knew what my life with alcohol still in it was going to be like- not much left. i was only existing in gloom,dispair,and agony.
i had courage to go to a meeting and keep returning. i had courage to get the big book and learn what it was about.
then i gained faith that it would work for me like it had for countless others.
best decision i ever made was my decision to give up alcohol and go to AA.
it didnt save my life- it gave me life.