View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
You're not being cruel, you're being real. And that's a good quality to have. I love my children deeply and the amount of times the worst could have happened is terrifying to me. If I'm always sober than I'll never have to worry about having a regretful moment... Because I'll always be clear minded. My friends and family in no way suspect I have guilt about my drinking. Because for the MOST part it is controlled. Social. Here and there. When around them. It's the home alone while husband is out working when I have the problem. To which my husband is completely aware of.
Just another note - my boyfriend has a 14 year old daughter (his 18 year old just went to college) and he is grateful EVERY day that he is now sober and present for WHATEVER they need. The confidence and relief that gives him - about driving, picking up, being needed for anything- is enormous and I know he counts it as one of the biggest blessings of his sobriety. He also mentions how much better he is at focusing on her from the time they get up through volleyball after school, whatever is going on at night, etc etc.

IMO and IME, parent or not, there is simply NOTHING better when you are drunk.

Good luck.