Notices

For the kids.....

Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by finaltime View Post
my friends sister died this past weekend of an overdose. she has a 5 year old son. I am heartbroken. So heartbroken. I don't know the details, or what she used, I knew that for years off and on she struggled. now she is gone...... we have a choice today.
I am so sorry to hear about your friends sister. How incredibly sad.

My friend just helped me understand my recent increase in alcohol use. I suffered from postpartum depression and was medicated for it the past year. Well, I am weaning off those meds. And feel like I am now using alcohol to replace... When I'm alone I feel very anxious so I am self medicating. Totally not ok but helps me at least understand WHY.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

It is a simple solution, though not easy at times, but it does get better.
The alternative is to continue and never be free of the fears and concerns. "Rock Bottoms" (which are never necessary) occur when we continue in spite of recognizing that ' little voice' but deciding to do what It wants.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi SlipnSlide,

I'm so glad you are here and posting. I am also a mom, and I currently have 8 months sober. I watched my drinking increase over the years, and would convince myself I deserved a glass of wine after working all day, and managing homework and activities for three kids. The problem was it went from a glass to a bottle, and sometimes more.

I struggled to stop for a few years, and my life insisted of brief periods of sobriety, followed by attempts at moderation. This past NYE I decided enough.

SR has been my biggest support, I joined the January class on here, and I logged in daily and read and posted. The first few weeks were tough, I needed to occupy the time I would have normally poured my first glass of wine. I went for walks, took bubble baths, did yoga, took the kids to the park or to dinner, played outside with them. Gradually it got easier.

The post on this thread about driving when your child is sick really hit home today. Just last night my nine year old came into our bedroom at 3:30 and said he couldn't breathe. I jumped out of bed, splashed some water in my face and off we went to the ER. I know there would have been times in the past, especially between Friday night-Saturday morning my ability to drive would have been questionable.

You can do this, and I promise you it's worth it. I am looking forward to seeing you on SR.

❤️ Delilah
Old 09-03-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a great link to get you started on thinking about a plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 09-03-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
You're not being cruel, you're being real. And that's a good quality to have. I love my children deeply and the amount of times the worst could have happened is terrifying to me. If I'm always sober than I'll never have to worry about having a regretful moment... Because I'll always be clear minded. My friends and family in no way suspect I have guilt about my drinking. Because for the MOST part it is controlled. Social. Here and there. When around them. It's the home alone while husband is out working when I have the problem. To which my husband is completely aware of.
Just another note - my boyfriend has a 14 year old daughter (his 18 year old just went to college) and he is grateful EVERY day that he is now sober and present for WHATEVER they need. The confidence and relief that gives him - about driving, picking up, being needed for anything- is enormous and I know he counts it as one of the biggest blessings of his sobriety. He also mentions how much better he is at focusing on her from the time they get up through volleyball after school, whatever is going on at night, etc etc.

IMO and IME, parent or not, there is simply NOTHING better when you are drunk.

Good luck.