Old 08-24-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
redatlanta

Alicia - I like the post you wrote about yourself, I too love the holidays!

Maybe take some time and do those things you spoke about. take a walk and explore, hang your pictures. One thing I found myself doing when Rah relapsed and in his subsequent recovery for a while - I stopped doing those things. Especially when he was drinking. I was too nervous often to leave the house for what I might come back to.

In recovery, I found myself initially so "into" it that I also stopped doing things I loved. I think life was so serious then. I was certainly keen at watching my RAH and being sure he wasn't drinking. Lot of fear - that it wouldn't last - though in hindsight he embraced it (he had been sober many years) and I did not see anything indicative of not.

Its important to "get breaks" from it. The worry, and I know you do, you wouldn't be human if you did not.

I agree with the lack of coping skills as being a big part of addiction. Certainly was an issue with my RAH. Funny thing was he was quite capable of handling BIG issues. The daily irritations of life not so much, which occur more often than the BIG things. He has learned to handle them better. Much better.

I tell you though, If I called him today and said I had two tire blow out and my car sitting on the side of the highway he would have it handled in 5 mins. If I come home and say "What's for dinner"? There would be a 30 second delay staring in space then "WHAT? Dinner? Me plan dinner? What? Um....I don't know. Hmmm. Well, what do you think?" LOL.