View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Worry about how I would handle a future situation involving making the choice not to drink(eg a trip to the beach, a cold'one' after cutting the lawn, the nightly(?) beer in the shower(?!), a dinner out ect ect) always made it easier for the AV to convince me to not even attempt quitting. Even after alcohol abuse progressed to drinking (just a little?!) in the morning to get me to the point in the day when I could drink, Enough.
I'm not sure exactly how but I decided one day that enough was enough, I was done trying to quit and felt pretty sure that I was going to quit full stop, because if I didn't all bets were off. I knew if I didn't I'd lose everything important in my life and/or the heightened anxiety of the binge drinking/morning withdrawl cycle would drive me over the edge and make suicide seem like a reasonable alternative. In truth I was closer to losing the important things in my life, from drinking, then I realised. But just as truthfully the despair, anguish and anxiety were caused by/extremely heightened by continuing to consume alcohol. The only way to get free of it was to decide Never again , No Mater What. It's a simple solution, not easy, at first. It does become easier with time , and it's hard to express in words the feeling of being freed from the addiction and knowing you would never return to that despair.
24/7 rainbows and unicorns because I no longer drink? Not hardly, but 24/7 relief? Absolutely.
Take the leap of faith to believe what others express about it getting better, and soon you will answer the AV's "glass of wine w/dinner, celebratory toasts, casual drinking get togethers" with " actually that all just sounds like that bottle of Campori and those butts" .
Nice dinners in fine restaurants can be/ are fantastic , they do not end fishing through ashtrays, they never have to, you can do this