Old 08-21-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
chickippo

i met my partner at 17 days sober. my sponsor was cautious and helped me through the minefield of dating sober. she advised caution and to keep my recovery at the forefront of everything.

it's been tough going at times. i have Borderline Personality Disorder and struggle in all my relationships, romantic and otherwise. i don't know the cues. i don't understand 'normal' interactions and i'm hyper-vigilant and very insecure. i've been married and divorced twice, the first time relatively amicable as we share a daughter. the second divorce was absolutely hellish and i'm still picking up the pieces emotionally.

my partner bought us a beautiful house recently and we move in in around 3 weeks. i've been sober 2 years 4 months. we do work at our relationship, i think you have to.

the most important thing for me is the understanding that my sobriety is my number 1 priority - that without that we have nothing; i have nothing. my sponsor was amazing and took me through the steps and worked me hard! without that foundation i don't know if my sobriety, my relationship or my sanity would have made it.

so i will live in a gorgeous new home that i have never taken a drink in. i'm with a man who has never seen me take a drink, has never seen me drunk and who understands how vital it is that i don't drink at all, ever.

and yes, it's terrifying. i get it. it's my new 'normal' and i still don't really think i deserve it. but nothing ventured, nothing gained. sobriety rocks.