Old 08-20-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Venecia

TinHipsMcGee -- First, what a great screen name!

You're doing some commendable things here. You're consulting with your sponsor. You're posting on SR. You're mindful that two big changes in your life -- one nice, one mournful -- are seemingly conflicting transitions that make you feel uneasy.

If working your program is what has carried you this far in sobriety, keep working it. Your mindfulness is an important asset; hold on to the awareness you have built.

My first intimate relationship in sobriety began at exactly the same time as yours. The only counsel I can offer is to, as the old saying goes, don't cross bridges until you get to them. Thinking this fella might be "the one" after only a few weeks places a lot of pressure on you and, though you've not confided this feeling to him, on him as well. At the onset of relationships, when we've got happy running through our veins, it's easy to get that feeling. My own relationship ended after a few months; I cared for him a lot and it was hard. But from the start I vowed that my sobriety was central to my life and that helped me weather the storm considerably.

(BTW, relationships are challenging, for people in recovery and the rest of the human race. Your mindfulness of the emotional challenges speaks to why sober veterans strongly suggest not entering new romantic relationships until a year's sober time has been amassed.)

Keep your sobriety front and center and you'll serve yourself well. Enjoy this exciting time in your life. You don't know now where it is going but it is still a happy time and it feels good.