View Single Post
Old 02-23-2003, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Something Interesting

I just read that a cause for PTSD is when a trauma causes a conflict with your perceived reality.

This made so much sense to me. I think the younger we are when the trauma strikes the more likely we are to have PTSD.

I for one had a la la land perception of reality. You know married, happily ever after, home with white pickett fence and so on. I was in total denial of life and reality the way it really can be.

When I found my husband dead my reality crashed with the real reality and bam I had PTSD. Then it is prolonged because we go into a numbing shock that protects us from most of the traumatic event. I know I stayed numb and in denial for many many years. It is when I began facing reality as it really is that I began to get better.

I think what keeps us depressed is remaining in shock and remaining numb. We can't face things all at once. Sometimes we hold on so tightly that we keep ourselves from facing things at all. We avoid. So the depression and lack of joy in life continues. We've done such a good job that we are in denial that the pain and trauma are still with us. We guard our lives to the extent that we isolate and avoid life.

Love is painful, life is painful because when ever we open up to let something in it also lets pain out. So we feel the need to remain closed.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Hugs,
MG