View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Whodathunk

I drank for many years and was in a similar place as you when I got sober. When I thought about it, I accepted that with so many years that had passed, if I had NOT been drinking, I would have still been changing with the years, as we all do. The difference is that I was not present during those years of change, which is what was alarming. But I never expected to go back to who I was before I started my big drinking, I was who I was, which was someone with the sack to beat the odds and get and stay sober, and that was a hell of a good place to start from.

But early on is sobriety, everything I did and experienced, and felt, was new. It truly was like being reborn. It was scary because I did not know how to accept the 'real' of life. This is most likely why it is advised to not make major decisions in your first year of sobriety (if possible) since everything is so damn new.

But with time, and over time, consistency started to build up where my reactions and feelings became consistent and I began to see and feel who the new me was. It DID take awhile though.

With your new baseline of where you are now, you can include in it a strength and internal fortitude that many others don't have. Just it and live it, and let life come to you. It will happen. Like it was said, time is a big part of it. And patience.