View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
Thank you for also saying how hard it was for you in that first year of recovery. For us new here sometimes it seems as if some people do sobriety easily and so well. It is struggle especially initially and we need to be prepared to put in the hard yards.
One of the reason new comers are so vitally important is it forces people that have a little bit of sobriety to remember. I don't often think about early sobriety any more but here I am thinking about it because of you.. Thank you for helping me stay sober

When I think about those days. They were hard but not impossible. A day at a time was critically important. All I had to do was get through the day sober. I'm an AA er and was told to go to a meeting everyday and don't drink In between meetings. It was hard very hard but any fool can stay sober for a day and at the beginning I thought I was a very special fool.

As time went on I was advised I didn't have to change overnight. I didn't get sick in a day and wasn't going to get better in one either. What was most important was doing what the people with long term sobriety did whether I wanted to or not.

The path is long and hard but went compared to active alcoholism it is a piece of cake