Notices

Without sobriety

Old 08-11-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Without sobriety

Without sobriety I will have nothing. There nothing more important. Not my kids, spouse, job, reputation, marriage, sex, finances, friends, family, or status. Getting and staying sober is the absolute number one priority in my life. I'm willing to change anything I have to, do anything I have to. Nothing is off the table besides drinking. I am willing to put the time and effort into staying sober as I did drinking. If I was willing to do it for booze I am willing to do it for sobriety. If I drink I will lose everything I love and cherrish including my life.

This mindset has kept me sober for a few 24 hours and I have been rewarded with a life better than I could have dreamed.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good stuff, MIR!!
reminds me of the jan 6th reading in 24hrs/day

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing. Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?

Meditation for the Day

I will discipline myself. I will do this disciplining now. I will turn out all useless thoughts. I know that the goodness of my life is a necessary foundation for its usefulness. I will welcome this training, for without it, God cannot give me His power. I believe that this power is a mighty power when it is used in the right way.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may face and accept whatever discipline is necessary. I pray that I may be fit to receive God's power in my life.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not exactly sure that this is it but I needed to hear something.

Haven't been able to get to any meetings this week yet hardly

I'm here feeling sorry for myself as an 'adult child of stuff' tbh.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good stuff, MIR!!
reminds me of the jan 6th reading in 24hrs/day

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing. Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?

Meditation for the Day

I will discipline myself. I will do this disciplining now. I will turn out all useless thoughts. I know that the goodness of my life is a necessary foundation for its usefulness. I will welcome this training, for without it, God cannot give me His power. I believe that this power is a mighty power when it is used in the right way.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may face and accept whatever discipline is necessary. I pray that I may be fit to receive God's power in my life.
I love this reading and used it as the basis for my post but made it a little less abstract but no more true
Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have found when I gave 100% I got 100% sober. When I have 50% I got 0% sober
Old 08-12-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you MiR
Old 08-12-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's the bottom line for me too MIR.

If my life is a wheel, my recovery is the axle on which it turns.
Break the axle and I ain't goin nowhere....

D
Old 08-12-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I have found when I gave 100% I got 100% sober. When I have 50% I got 0% sober
That's an awesome quote!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some inspiring words right here on this thread!!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Inspiring ... truthful ... Pure

I'm going to copy this if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Without sobriety I will have nothing. There nothing more important. Not my kids, spouse, job, reputation, marriage, sex, finances, friends, family, or status. Getting and staying sober is the absolute number one priority in my life. I'm willing to change anything I have to, do anything I have to. Nothing is off the table besides drinking. I am willing to put the time and effort into staying sober as I did drinking. If I was willing to do it for booze I am willing to do it for sobriety. If I drink I will lose everything I love and cherrish including my life.

This mindset has kept me sober for a few 24 hours and I have been rewarded with a life better than I could have dreamed.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very inspiring!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Maybe it is just me but I seem to have seen a lot of, "I can, don't want to, I won't, it not for me, I heard, it is not a fit, makes me uncomfortable......." posts lately.

I am serious. I can't think of one thing in my first year of sobriety I wanted to do or that didn't make me feel uncomfortable. It took a while but I eventually realized there is no sobriety fairy. In order to be the person I wanted to be I had to stop being the person I was.

Quitting drink was the foundation but then the heavy lifting started. I had to change and change is never fun or easy but the payoffs are huge
Old 08-12-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Inspiring ... truthful ... Pure

I'm going to copy this if you don't mind.
Copy away but living these words will keep us sober
Old 08-12-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You hit it right on the nose, MIR. Without sobriety I'm not good to anyone, including myself. If you see someone drowning it doesn't help them at all to jump in and go down with them; you're way better off standing on solid ground and throwing the life preserver.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

MIR, great post and insight. I couldn't agree more. My sobriety has turned into everything for me too. Everyone around me benefits from my decision to not drink each day. Everyone around me would also be destroyed if I decided to drink today as well.

I was selfishly drunk for so long. Staying sober is my everything and unselfishly, everyone around me is far better off with me not drinking ever again.

Like you said, until I made a conscious decision to give 100 percent to being sober, I was just setting myself up for failure.

This takes a lot of work, but what you get in return is priceless.

Great post MIr, thanks.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Thank you for also saying how hard it was for you in that first year of recovery. For us new here sometimes it seems as if some people do sobriety easily and so well. It is struggle especially initially and we need to be prepared to put in the hard yards.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
Thank you for also saying how hard it was for you in that first year of recovery. For us new here sometimes it seems as if some people do sobriety easily and so well. It is struggle especially initially and we need to be prepared to put in the hard yards.
One of the reason new comers are so vitally important is it forces people that have a little bit of sobriety to remember. I don't often think about early sobriety any more but here I am thinking about it because of you.. Thank you for helping me stay sober

When I think about those days. They were hard but not impossible. A day at a time was critically important. All I had to do was get through the day sober. I'm an AA er and was told to go to a meeting everyday and don't drink In between meetings. It was hard very hard but any fool can stay sober for a day and at the beginning I thought I was a very special fool.

As time went on I was advised I didn't have to change overnight. I didn't get sick in a day and wasn't going to get better in one either. What was most important was doing what the people with long term sobriety did whether I wanted to or not.

The path is long and hard but went compared to active alcoholism it is a piece of cake