Old 08-11-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
I m scared something heavy will have to happen for me to take this seriously, like me getting very ill, my wife leaving me, screwing up at work or disappointing my kids, and for the first time I can see very early signs of some of these things happening.

I m hoping talking about it here will help, reading some of your stories has definitely been inspiring, well done everyone who managed to stop. I honestly hope I can say the same about myself soon.

P
Hi Mr. P.

By the time we can see "early signs" of potential problems, they've been going on for some time.

Getting sober is a struggle. Anything worthwhile in life is a struggle. Now is not the time to despair; now is the time to meet the challenge, to find the courage that each of us possesses to find a better way. We never know what we're capable of until we do it.

I couldn't have gotten sober without a great deal of support, and I've nurtured that support in the five years I've been sober. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot do the same. Unless you can predict the future, telling yourself that you can't do it is not helpful, and is part of what we sometimes refer to as "denial."

"Someday" is not one of the days of the week, and "hopefully" is not a plan. Now is the time to start.