Old 08-07-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
August252015

Just today. IMO on the first day, heck maybe well into some days, any kind of "mind tricks" or "body tricks" that keep you from drinking are A-OK.

A lady at a meeting yesterday said she started out saying "I will do the laundry and clean the bathroom then I can drink." Then, an hour or so later, she said "I'll get things ready for work tomorrow, then I can drink." Then, "I'll watch this movie." You get the point. Time CRAWLS at the beginning for a lot of people, so if you can find ways to get through the minutes, hours and time til you can go to bed, then you've gotten through one day. This doesn't need to be how you deal and manage not to drink forever (I sure don't think it's a good long term strategy!) but whatever gets you STARTED being sober is what you should do.

Reaching out to a friend. Google AA meetings in your area, go and just sit in the back - sneak in or out if you need to or are uncomfortable. Initially, I ducked out before the serenity prayer- looking back, I think it bugged me so much because I had NONE and couldn't imagine a changed life where I lived as it tells us. That's ok. You will get better in every way if you don't drink and find support and a plan you can work.

Just don't drink. Then you can decide on a program to begin recovery.

You can do it!