Notices

i want to stop but it seems like I just can't :(

Old 08-06-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i want to stop but it seems like I just can't :(

help

at least I haven't drunk today.....yet....
Old 08-06-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

how about if you stay on here today? I will be wasting most of this hot day playing on the computer and I could use some company. Can you get into the chat room? or banter back and forth here?? Maybe not drink just today. See if you can manage sober just today. It's how I started my sobriety. Just today, I thought I'd try sobriety, just for now and a few just nows have become just a few years of sobriety. I enjoy sobriety so much more than the hangovers, headaches, stomach problems, inability to eat certain foods, being exausted or drunk or just yuck!

Stick here today, see if you can do one day sober.....just for today....
Old 08-06-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It only "seems" like you can't stop because your addiction is trying to tell you so. The reality is that you CAN stop, whenever you want to. You haven't drank yet today so there's proof right there. Staying here on SR and talking it through is a great plan. You could find an AA or another recovery meeting of some kind and attend today too. You could make a list of projects or things you'd like to get done today and do them too. There's a big difference between planning your day and planning to "not drink".
Old 08-06-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get sober for good, it starts with making a decision to not drink no matter what. Do you want to be sober more than you want to drink? That's the key to staying sober.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
how about if you stay on here today? I will be wasting most of this hot day playing on the computer and I could use some company. Can you get into the chat room? or banter back and forth here?? Maybe not drink just today. See if you can manage sober just today. It's how I started my sobriety. Just today, I thought I'd try sobriety, just for now and a few just nows have become just a few years of sobriety. I enjoy sobriety so much more than the hangovers, headaches, stomach problems, inability to eat certain foods, being exausted or drunk or just yuck!

Stick here today, see if you can do one day sober.....just for today....
I agree that this is how it's done. You don't focus on stopping fore ever. You only focus on right now. Quitting for good sounds impossible. But if you keep staying sober right this minute. It gets easier.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you going soberlife?

D
Old 08-07-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Che

Coming to the decision you don't want to live like this anymore needs to come with a decision of how you do want to live.

It will not seem impossible when you find what you want to do. It helps if you can get a few sober days or weeks figuring that out, too. It's hard to think when half your brain is shut down from being hung over.

Do your best.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just today. IMO on the first day, heck maybe well into some days, any kind of "mind tricks" or "body tricks" that keep you from drinking are A-OK.

A lady at a meeting yesterday said she started out saying "I will do the laundry and clean the bathroom then I can drink." Then, an hour or so later, she said "I'll get things ready for work tomorrow, then I can drink." Then, "I'll watch this movie." You get the point. Time CRAWLS at the beginning for a lot of people, so if you can find ways to get through the minutes, hours and time til you can go to bed, then you've gotten through one day. This doesn't need to be how you deal and manage not to drink forever (I sure don't think it's a good long term strategy!) but whatever gets you STARTED being sober is what you should do.

Reaching out to a friend. Google AA meetings in your area, go and just sit in the back - sneak in or out if you need to or are uncomfortable. Initially, I ducked out before the serenity prayer- looking back, I think it bugged me so much because I had NONE and couldn't imagine a changed life where I lived as it tells us. That's ok. You will get better in every way if you don't drink and find support and a plan you can work.

Just don't drink. Then you can decide on a program to begin recovery.

You can do it!
Old 08-07-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi,

You can do it.

This is exactly why I went to AA. I couldn't stop and would end up drunk after work every single day, no matter what I did.

So I got desperate and went to a meeting. I didn't want to, it was uncomfortable but I stayed sober that day and went back the next.

I didn't really like that meeting, I couldn't relate to the people so I looked up a few more and went to them. I fairly quickly found some meetings I liked and people I related to.

There are other ways to quit but this one was free, easy and very accessible and it worked for me.

As the others said you don't have to worry or think about a lifetime of sobriety, just handle today - heck just handle this hour.

If you don't want to try a meeting how about listening to some recovery podcasts? This one is aimed at new people like you Recovered Podcast - Alcoholics Anonymous in your pocket, it's free and there are over 700 episodes!
I recommend the Step 1, one, it's a great place to start.

Also, keep reaching out here, lots of people want to help you if you let them.

CJ.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What kind of help do you need?
Old 08-07-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did not think I could stop. I did not think I would ever get through one day.

I was so astonishingly hungover for four days after my last night of drinking I felt like I had a four day head start. Then I took it one day at a time.

I am all for tricks/schemes to get through the first few days/weeks. My main thing was eating literally anything I wanted. I think we all know that the craving for alcohol is muted when you're disgustingly full of food. I'd say it cut my cravings by 50 percent or more. So I ate treats all day every day for the first week. It was like a game to see how much sugar I could get into my body for seven days.

There were evenings where I took it hour by hour. I never regretted waking up thinking "oh my god. I didn't drink last night."

The worst feeling I've ever had is "oh my god. I can't believe I drank last night" after even a few days of sobriety.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I couldn't stop. I couldn't protect myself against that fatal first drink. I went to AA, and drank again. Then I joined AA, started on the steps, not believing it would work. I never took a note of the date.

Suddenly I had three months. I had gone all that time without any real thought of a drink. Something must have changed when I got serious about finding that higher power.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Breaking the daily cycle and gaining some sober time for my brain to start healing made a big difference in the " I can't " side of the equation. Turns out, that's not true. Look around - many ordinary drunks here got sober. Nothing special - just had enough.