View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I have found that sometimes people in our lives who still drink after we have quit feel threatened somehow, even if they don't really realize it. Because you are growing and changing, and they aren't. Even if your husband is a normie, he may feel afraid you are going to outgrow him somehow. So his fear comes out sideways, subtle (or not-so-subtle) attempts to sabotage your sobriety. Just my thoughts.
MLD nailed it.

The last time when I quit I went through the same, I understand it more this time.

When I was in counseling I told my therapist that my husband was acting really odd towards me. He never tried the outlandish act of offering me alcohol he just wasn't himself. She asked if I knew why and I said, no, that's why I'm asking you and laughed. Then, she handed me a 7 piece puzzle and asked me to put it together. I did. She then asked me to take out 2 of the pieces and give them to her. In exchange, she handed me 2 other pieces from another puzzle and told me to again complete the puzzle. I looked at her like she was insane and laughed and she laughed back and said "just try". So I took the two pieces and tried in every way I could, turning them around. I finally looked at her and said "you and I both know these are not going to fit and complete the puzzle, what is this about?"

She then asked me how I felt when I tried to make the pieces fit and I thought about it. I said that it made me feel frustrated. She asked why and I said because she had changed the pieces of the puzzle and now I couldn't make them fit.

She looked at me and said "That's how your husband feels".

All of a sudden it made sense. Because of the changes in me my husband didn't know how to continue our days together as he had because I was a different person. He was trying to make the puzzle fit together when the pieces had changed.

In order to complete the puzzle both people must now adapt so that the pieces can change to make it whole again.

Far reaching here but I hope this concept helps you to understand that although you're changing, he needs to change too. Offering you alcohol is terrible. But, like MLD said he doesn't know how to deal with your sobriety. I'm sure he doesn't want the drunk you back but he doesn't know how to feel about the new you either. It's a definite adjustment period.