View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
IvanMike
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
I'm very sorry Ivan but it is completely different. I quit pot because I want to be healthy. Weed never made me act like a maniac, or blackout, or be belligerent and violent, or do things that embarrassed me or others and it never affected my life as terribly as alcohol did. So you think that it is ok for him to offer me booze because I was getting high? I completely disagree with you because in MY experience, it has been completely different. I have been at working at quitting booze for over 2 years. I have 2 years and fourth months in which I have drank 4 times. I went for 13 months straight at the beginning. Now I'm going to have 6 months without a drop. He has seen my struggle. I am a hundred percent sure that he wasn't thinking "she's smoking, she might drink", not at all.

I know it's not "his job" to understand but I want his support. I guess I have to learn to differentiate between what I want and what I need. I might want his support, but I don't need it.
Food for thought.

One of the reasons we tend to count consecutive lengths of clean time is that's what other people see. In any outside observer's eyes, you drank six months ago. They don't see two years and four months, and quite frankly, neither does your disease. (To be honest, your disease sees two weeks).

The second thing to think about is why you held on to smoking pot? Recovery isn't just about abstinence from the substances that caused us the most unmanagability, it's about looking at why we felt the need to get loaded in the first place.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not giving you a hard time. These are the same things that people that cared and that had experience confronted me with when I got clean. I tried to differentiate between the different drugs I was using and held onto the idea that some of them were more manageable than others.