View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dame

I agree with much of what miamifella said;

Could there be a little envy going on here? He probably is not going to quickly adjust to the 'new you' any more than you are (but don't stop!). At the same time, when we see someone working hard at a self-improvement goal, sometimes we feel a bit like 'slackers' ourselves. He may not have 'problem' with substances, but he may also not be ready to engage in his use alone. Perhaps it makes himfeel as if HE is the "overindulgent" one.
I've found that you can't change anyone else - only yourself. BUT, I've also found that when I change, the people in my life start changing as well (if I mean enough to them).
Would it be at all possible to change how you react to - what in my opinion - are some pretty silly sabotage tactics: sharing a post election bottle? Really? Then he raised a ruckus over it? That's just childish, and perhaps you could learn to laugh at this nonsense and let him see that you refuse to take it seriously.
NOTHING should put your sobriety at risk, and if he won't ease up, I would flat out give him some silence. Sorry if I sound too radical. I don't like having my buttons pushed either.
Good for you for no playing the game