Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
August252015

My sponsor would say, to those of you who say you never blamed anyone else...look at that idea again.

I definitely used excuses. Avoidance of issues being a big one. I always KNEW deep down it was my fault; but when so actively sick, I let myself convince, blame, EXCUSE (to myself and others) insane behavior.

Now, it is often thrilling to be able to make the right choices. The examples above are great ones. Making the right decisions about even the basics- making the bed, eating regular meals, and such- leads to the good decisions about bigger and biggest stuff. God helps me to do that, since my recovery plan is spiritually based (AA).

A wise person in my big AA clubhouse explained the "f*ck its" to me. Passages in the BB explain this idea - which ties to excuses and justifications- when it tells stories. Ex- when Bill W decides that rather than deal with his business failures he would (f*ck it) and go to a bar, and (f*ck it) bathtub gin was the better solution to dealing. So, for us....I know I'm going to get in trouble at work, but (f*ck it) I don't have to leave yet. Etc.

My ability to deal with the daily junk has dramatically increased. I melt down sometimes (less often, and much less dramatically), but I deal. I don't like something or someone or circumstances, but I keep going.

I could not have the life I have now if I continued drinking.