Old 07-29-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
STGHealthyWoman

When I quit drinking June 20, 2016, the first night was okay but I think there was probably still alcohol in my system because I was a very heavy drinker as it sounds like you WERE--not anymore, right?

These folks on SR told me to be careful, they told me to go to detox, they warned me, but I didn't listen because I am so much smarter than they are (not). The second night scared the s*(t out of me. I woke up about midnight freezing cold and shivering. I can't believe my husband didn't even wake up because my teeth were chattering and the whole bed was shaking. That lasted for about 45 minutes when I finally fell back asleep. An hour after that, I woke up sweating and the sheets were all wet. The next day, I had feverish symptoms all day long so I took it easy and went to bed early. The following afternoon, the feverish symptoms returned, but not as bad. The fourth day, I felt freaking amazing! That is the day you have to get to so you can remember just a little bit how it felt to be a sober person. The trick after that is managing the cravings because at about week three, you are feeling like you can take on the world and that is when you drink (or at least I did). Stay here and check in every day and listen to the veterans who seem like as@#$%^les in the beginning because they tell it like it is. They know the truth and they hold you accountable.

You can choose detox or not, but take the advice someone offered above and keep your husband close in case something bad happens. This withdrawal stuff can be very risky, but it's worth it.

I keep trying and making a plan and eventually it's gonna stick. Best wishes to you. Let's keep in touch and hold each other up.