Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

First day of sobriety- someone talk me off the proverbial ledge

Notices

Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today I got sober. I was on here months ago, but just wasn't ready to commit. This time, however, I'm serious as I'm fairly sure if I don't I will lose my husband, child, or my life. The reason I'm posting and a bit freaked out is that I don't feel like I'm withdrawing that bad. In the past, it's been literal days of hell. Granted, it's only been about 13-14 hours since my last drink, but I'm barely shaking, only sweating a bit. My anxiety is through the roof and I feel very edgy and paranoid (I have anxiety anyway, so it's just slightly worse than usual). At this point am I in the clear, or will I somehow feel awful tonight? I don't plan to ever have another drink again, but of course the siren song that my bad feelings will end if I have one is alluring.

I'm just looking for some support that I'm doing the right thing by quitting, as I am not able to control drinking once I start. I was drinking almost an entire 750ml of vodka through the day for the last week. In my past I've drank way more and for longer stretches. This was a bender that I should have seen coming, but wanted to believe I had control. I feel pretty good right now physically but will probably be getting ****** sleep for a few nights out of this.

So- yeah. Just looking to vent, talk and remind myself why I'm starting this last journey to sobriety.

If there's a better place to post this than in here, let me know.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes, you are doing the right thing by quitting.

how you'll feel later, if you're safe or need detox help, no-one here can say. hope you'll let your husband know where you're at and can and will get medical help if you run into trouble.

keep well hydrated.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No advice as I am also drinking a bottle of vodka a day, but truly wish you success.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are at all worried, get yourself to the emergency room in a hospital and get them to check you over and ensure that you can detox safely. I did not need medical assistance, and many others would say the same. BUT many people do need it, and withdrawals can be dangerous. Better safe than sorry on this one.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking June 20, 2016, the first night was okay but I think there was probably still alcohol in my system because I was a very heavy drinker as it sounds like you WERE--not anymore, right?

These folks on SR told me to be careful, they told me to go to detox, they warned me, but I didn't listen because I am so much smarter than they are (not). The second night scared the s*(t out of me. I woke up about midnight freezing cold and shivering. I can't believe my husband didn't even wake up because my teeth were chattering and the whole bed was shaking. That lasted for about 45 minutes when I finally fell back asleep. An hour after that, I woke up sweating and the sheets were all wet. The next day, I had feverish symptoms all day long so I took it easy and went to bed early. The following afternoon, the feverish symptoms returned, but not as bad. The fourth day, I felt freaking amazing! That is the day you have to get to so you can remember just a little bit how it felt to be a sober person. The trick after that is managing the cravings because at about week three, you are feeling like you can take on the world and that is when you drink (or at least I did). Stay here and check in every day and listen to the veterans who seem like as@#$%^les in the beginning because they tell it like it is. They know the truth and they hold you accountable.

You can choose detox or not, but take the advice someone offered above and keep your husband close in case something bad happens. This withdrawal stuff can be very risky, but it's worth it.

I keep trying and making a plan and eventually it's gonna stick. Best wishes to you. Let's keep in touch and hold each other up.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Echoing what others here have said, try and keep someone close and if you're concerned about any symptoms you may start showing don't hesitate to get help.

Congratulations on the start of your journey, you've already made the first step!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First, Congrats on your day 1. As everyone said, if you could get medical detox it is the safest option. For me personally, my first 2 detox es were under medical supervision or I probably wouldn't be here to post about it. The last one for me, I did on my own knowing, I may have to call 911 at any moment. I didn't and by some miracle have 23 days. This time, I was ready and my body couldn't take anymore. Just be mindful, once the physical is over, the temptation will still be there. For me this time, I had a plan. Good luck and you could do this.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, get some medical help. It will not only help you detox safely, but you'll be much more comfortable as well. I didn't really have any issues except for peeing a lot and night sweats. If it gets too uncomfortable for you at home, you're liable to drink something just to escape the hell your body goes through.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I have medically detoxed in the past and I have also done it naturally. I actually have been feeling even better as the day goes on but I know what PP's were saying about how sometimes withdrawals can be delayed. Let's just say I've been on this merry go round way more times than I'd like to admit, and I'm not looking forward to my night sleep tonight. My husband is here and supportive and we have a no alcohol allowed in the house rule. I'm definitely going to check back and keep you guys posted as to how my night is. I think tomorrow afternoon or the next day I'm going to feel much more like myself. I know that once the first 24 hours are over, the risks start to decline if your withdrawal symptoms remain minor, which mine are. I have a couple of lorazepam that were prescribed to me awhile ago for this purpose, but am not feeling like I yet need them. I'm really trying to stay and be clean from everything. One thing I've never tried before is AA and I think it might be the answer for me.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Gdgirl, glad you have made the decision to quit. Most people get through detox without medical assistance but as everyone else has said don't hesitate to contact medical services if you are unsure about any symptoms that manifest themselves

After the first couple of days it is usually a good idea to draw up a plan for staying sober (what to do when the cravings hit and how to avoid triggers etc)

Good luck

Last edited by saoutchik; 07-29-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-29-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Gdgirl,

Im 42 and I was in a similar position a little over a month ago. I had been drinking 750mls of vodka a day for about ten days and my anxiety was through the roof. It is so worth quitting, I'm feeling fantastic today, even after a health scare. My relationship with my partner is going from strength to strength, my kids are happier and I'm feeling vital and capable again. Nothing beats this feeling. I hope you'll stick around and keep posting, this site is making a huge difference to my resolve to not drink again in future. Make SR your new facebook, the support is fantastic and you don't have to deal with all those pro-drinking memes and friends posting constant photos of themselves with drinks in their hands!
Old 07-29-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

good on ya!

a lil sumthin ya typed:

"So- yeah. Just looking to vent, talk and remind myself why I'm starting this last journey to sobriety. "

you typed the reminders:

I'm fairly sure if I don't I will lose my husband, child, or my life.

I am not able to control drinking once I start.

I've been on this merry go round way more times than I'd like to admit

One thing I've never tried before is AA and I think it might be the answer for me.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ugh. If you can get through if alone, do it, but be careful. With my early quits, I got through w no withdrawl (was drinking about the same but the body wasn't ready to read me the riot act). This time was different--I wasn't trying to quit and my body nearly quit on me. I had to go to er and icu. I was at the end stages.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gdgirl1972
I won't reiterate the words of caution about withdrawal except to say if you feel concerned or unwell, do think about seeing someone.

I've never regretted my decision to get and stay sober - I know you won;t either.

Why not check out the Class of July support thread in this forum? tons of support there, every day

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-5.html

(you too Kaily?)

D
Old 07-30-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel pretty amazing today, and reading all your words only helps. I was lucky to get through the first 24 hours with only minimal to moderate symptoms, kept at it and got a good night sleep. I had night sweats but none of my normal night terrors. I woke up feeling a little sore but rested. My anxiety is down, sweating is still kind of present, but no shakes or anything. I think, like a PP said, by day 4 (this is day 2) I will feel like myself again.

My husband is in AA and offered to take me to a local meeting next week which I think will be scary but worth it. I'm lucky to be young (28) and healthy when I reached this revelation and my body has bounced back rather quickly. I have so much to live for and I don't want to die at the bottom of another worthless bottle of poison. I've made plans for dealing with cravings before but it never worked. AA is my new plan but also to come up with a mantra to repeat to myself every day. I know I can do this and I'm also glad to have found this place. I only post mobile so it takes longer, but I plan to stick around
Old 07-30-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

but also to come up with a mantra to repeat to myself every day.
Oh do try meditation when repeating your mantra. It unites your mind body and soul and brings the most amazing sense of peace and a strong determination to bring change. I truly believe in it (and I am so far from a crunchy free loving hippie that I didn't believe something this natural and simple could work).
Old 09-07-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gdgirl1972 View Post
Today I got sober. I was on here months ago, but just wasn't ready to commit. This time, however, I'm serious as I'm fairly sure if I don't I will lose my husband, child, or my life. The reason I'm posting and a bit freaked out is that I don't feel like I'm withdrawing that bad. In the past, it's been literal days of hell. Granted, it's only been about 13-14 hours since my last drink, but I'm barely shaking, only sweating a bit. My anxiety is through the roof and I feel very edgy and paranoid (I have anxiety anyway, so it's just slightly worse than usual). At this point am I in the clear, or will I somehow feel awful tonight? I don't plan to ever have another drink again, but of course the siren song that my bad feelings will end if I have one is alluring.

I'm just looking for some support that I'm doing the right thing by quitting, as I am not able to control drinking once I start. I was drinking almost an entire 750ml of vodka through the day for the last week. In my past I've drank way more and for longer stretches. This was a bender that I should have seen coming, but wanted to believe I had control. I feel pretty good right now physically but will probably be getting ****** sleep for a few nights out of this.

So- yeah. Just looking to vent, talk and remind myself why I'm starting this last journey to sobriety.

If there's a better place to post this than in here, let me know.
Hi there, I will be on first night tonight as well, please let me know how it goes for you, maybe we can support one another.
I have tried quitting twice before and my only withdrawal was some sweating and fatigue. But the past few days I have had anxiety, a bit shaky, no appetite, dizzy - I think it is withdrawal so I know it's time to beat this thing. I too suffer from anxiety so it's sometimes hard to know what is anxiety and what is withdrawal.
Thanks for listening
Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is a couple of months old JP but we've got your back
D
Old 09-08-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This thread is a couple of months old JP but we've got your back
D
Thanks Dee!