Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Berrybean

This is where AA and the 12-step recovery program has been invaluable to me. Those steps have helped me relearn how to deal with anger, fear, anxiety, resentments, and find acceptance for life on life's terms, as well as help me get to understand myself. What my character defects are so that I can learn to be vigilant of these, but also, what my strengths are, so that I can learn to like myself, and stand being in my own company (something that was very tough before).

That 6 or 7 month landmark seems to be one where, if we have not managed to get a good strong recovery plan in place, and work on it as part of our daily routine, things start to build up and become pretty unbearable. I know that I was one of those people, and at around this stage my boss sent me for counselling because she was worried for me (on a personal emotional and mental health level, although my work performance was also presumably suffering as well). This had little impact due to my own inability to be completely honest with my counsellor - I couldn't bring myself to tell her the bleaker parts of my experiences, so told her a succession of half truths. The turning point for me was when I reached a special stage of desperate, which brought with it the willingness to do this things that had been suggested to me in AA meetings (where I'd been going for the 5 month leading up to this breakdown, but not engaging in any of the recovery program or reading that was suggested), and started to read the literature, got a sponsor, worked the steps and started trying to be a bit more useful and committed in my home group.

I hope that you find something to alleviate your pain soon. It's a dark dark place, but people do manage to keep going and come out at the other end. Whatever you do, taking a drink will not help. Remember that much, please. You have come so far.

If you haven't read the link on PAWS, this might be useful...
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

If you haven't got a solid plan in place, or you want to add to it, maybe have a read (or reread) of Dee's links on this thread... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB