Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

wantsNormal.....
First of all.....this is pretty much normal for the next several months....

LOL....I am famous for saying that newly sober alcohoics should live separately from their loved ones for at least a year.....
Why?.....because they are so miserable within themselves, much of the time....and they are miserable for their loved ones to be around......
It takes everything that they have to learn to live without the alcohol to deal with their feelings....
(remember the chimpanzees and the etch a sketch, from your other thread?)
(remember not to poke the bear that is fresh out of hibernation, from your other thread?)......

My advice is to give her a huge amount of space.....and all the time that she wants......
do you all live together?....If so, I would say to treat her like a very distant roommate......and, go about building an interesting life for yourself.....
New hobbies, new friends, new activities...for yourself!

She is building a new life for herself....and, you need to do the same.....
In recovery...both people will (need) to change. And, a whole new relationship has to form....
You will be different...she will be different...and, the relationship will be different......

How much do you really..REALLY know about the first year or two of recovery for an alcoholic??
It would help you to learn all about it....not for her...but, just so that you will know what you are up against....and so that you can stop trying to be a mindreader of her......

First...get a copy of "Co-dependent No More".......it is a classic, around here. Read it from cover to cover....and, I think that you will find a lot that resonates, for you, there.....
Go to the section of the stickies, called "classic Readings'.....there is a bootcamp of information, collected, there!!

this is for starters...lol...
This should keep you busy and out of her hair....lol

dandylion

***that book by Beverly Berg is a good idea, too.....