Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Che

Originally Posted by hiho View Post
Interesting...I would be someone who would say that I would have definitely avoided the path of alcoholism if I had help. A bit of digging around revealed a family history full of alcoholics, depressives and suicides.

I had severe, undiagnosed depression -partially genetics and partially family circumstances for a long time. If I had diagnosis and treatment in my teens when every night I prayed to get a brain tumour for a 'get out of jail free' card then I think that the core problem would have been dealt with, rather than the secondary problem of alcoholism eventually appearing. Now that I am finally tackling the root cause, I have found that the desire to drink has gone away. I feel sometimes unbearable sadness for the 35 years that I have spent stuffing up my life but I am in a great place at last, and I am deeply thankful for every minute now.

Everyone's path to becoming an alcoholic is different and my path in no way means that someone else's is less valid.
I have a similar story. My lifestyle overall became a lot healthier once I couldn't say "I want to die" anymore. Brain tumor or otherwise, it's a deathwish where you don't want to make other people feel guilty about a suicide. You can neither die nor live when you want that.