Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SlickRick07

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I understand your pain. I have a similar background. Dysfunctional family, left them to go to college, graduated with honors, two liberal arts degrees ... and then nothing. No great jobs waiting for me. I chalk it up to the liberal arts degrees. And not coming from money. I had no connections.

I worked a string of jobs where I was underpaid for about ten years. Then I got tired of that and carved out a niche for myself as a blogger/freelance writer for realtors. I also work one day per week as a rural mail carrier. I'm not rolling in money; I still have debt to pay off. But I'm able to make a living and write my short stories.

It was a long, hard road to get to this point. Sometimes you have to make something happen instead of waiting on someone to pick you. I got tired of being 'picked' by people I had no desire to slave away for, and all the bullcrap that entails.

I think you can follow your heart and carve out your own path. I'm here and I did just that. Still working on it.
Thank you for your response, especially from someone that understands. I actually got a BS science degree in the medical field. I think employers are ignoring me b/c I'm too old for an entry level degree position and not experienced enough for a more advanced position. So I'm stuck in limbo.

I do understand where you are coming from. I am sick of working for no money though and did it to make it this far. I have always had a passion for food. So, if I do not find something soon, I am starting on my business plan of starting my own quick grill diner. I refuse to work a minimum wage job anymore, when I know I'm capable of so much more given the chance. Its not possible for me to take a lower job, b/c it won't be experience in my field and I will never get a higher job.