View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sotired77

2 year update - Need some advice

It's been over 2 years since I've been back here to this forum. I used to post here now and then but I mainly read. It helped bring me serenity during my dark times. So here is a quick run down of my story:
I've been married 12 years. After 2 years of marriage my husband started drinking and became a RA. After dealing with it for 7 years (the usual, in and out of sobriety, in and out of rehab, etc) I finally filed for divorce. It was in December 2013.
I continued living my life, and about 3 months later, he finally got sober. He became a great dad to our two boys and became a great husband and really worked on himself. We worked on our marriage and I missed court dates and filings, and didn't proceed with the divorce. I finally got a notice that the case would be dismissed in December of this year. At that point I didn't care because we were very happy together.
Then, this weekend, we got in a fight. It was a silly fight. We were supposed to go away for a family wedding and he didn't want to go. I got mad that he didn't support my relationship with my family and I left without him. When I came back from the wedding the next day, he had been drinking and was on a binge. I became very angry. It had been so long that he had been sober, and I was so disappointed.

I had always promised myself that I wouldn't put myself through the hell I went through with him ever again. The divorce hasn't been dismissed and my plan is to go ahead and proceed with the papers I hadn't filed and proceed with the divorce. The problem is, that things aren't what they used to be. He has a great relationship with the kids now, and with me. I'm not actually living through "hell", so it's hard for me to proceed. When I came home yesterday, he didn't continue drinking like he used to. He stopped drinking after I came home. He actually went to work this morning. He says he will work to get sober again. He's done it before and I know relapses happen. Do I give him a chance again? I'm just so scared to go through it again.