Thread: some AA issues
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Bunny211

Originally Posted by effortjoy View Post
I think it would be a good idea for me to go to at least one AA meeting a week. When I went through 6-8 months of sobriety the last couple of times, I didn't go to AA and I think that made relapse more likely especially because I had so many excuses why once a week binge drinking was fine for me. But I have a couple of issues with basic AA philosophy and I wonder if these will prevent me from being able to benefit from the meetings? One is that I think of my binge drinking as something that I can fight back against and treat. I just don't think it's healthy for me to tell myself that I am "powerless" over alcohol. Why should I make myself feel helpless when confronting an illness or any challenge? I believe that addiction is a disease, similar to obesity being a disease but we aren't "powerless" over our illnesses, there are always things we can do to treat them and improve our lives. Secondly, since addiction has unequivocally been scientifically proven to be a disease, why should I apologize to anyone for my drinking? Would a cancer patient apologize for being sick ? Why go back into the past and start dredging up the worst parts of when we were sick? Basically, I would like to know what's constructive about saying we are "powerless" over our illness and why it would make sense to have to take an inventory and ask forgiveness for being sick ? I respect and probably really need AA so any clarity on these issues would be much appreciated
I work a strict AA program of recovery so my comments should be taken along the line they are intended: To share the message of AA and save a life.

There are loads of other treatments for alcoholism. Medication. Therapy. Acupuncture. Hypnosis. Etc. Etc.

AA treats alcoholism as a SPIRITUAL malady. A spiritual disease. AA teaches that the disease of alcoholism centers in the MIND and not the body. It is different than a cancer or diabetes. And since the disease is spiritual in nature, so is the treatment (the 12 steps - taken from the Book of James, New Testament). The big book even tells us that "almost none among us" liked the soul searching and the dredging up of the past that the program requires. Who would? But the book also warns about looking for an "easer, softer way."

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with AA and finding a program which works for you. But I think it would be hard to work an AA program and not take action and actually do the 12 steps. I mean, if you don't, you're just sitting in meetings right? And that's basically just group therapy. That's fellowship...but it's not the 12 steps of AA.

For me, I got to AA when I had no options left. Nothing else worked. Not a new boyfriend. Not a new job. Not moving across country. Not going to graduate school. Not therapy. Not anti-depressants. Not Naltrexone. Not rehabs. Not anti-anxiety medication. Not stints in mental hospitals. Not acupuncture. Not exercise. Nothing. I had to bite the bullet and work the steps. Once I did, MIRACULOUSLY, I got better.