View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Here's sort of an in-between idea. It worked well in my first marriage.

A friend of mine in AA gave me her copy of the Big Book (the main AA book that lays out the program of recovery--it was written in 1935, so the language and some of the social assumptions are dated, to say the least, but still very relevant to recovery from alcoholism).

I read it and gave him the book to read. (I'd suggest reading it first, yourself, as it is quite educational.) He, like many alcoholics, recognized himself in those pages. He agreed to go to one meeting to see what it was about. He thought the people were nice but--as is typical--he wanted to try doing it on his own.

He failed miserably, of course, and about that time I decided I needed a break from our relationship.

During the time we were apart, he went ON HIS OWN to a meeting, got sober, and he is still sober 36 years later without a slip. He is still active in AA.

So you might consider reading the book (there is actually a chapter called, "To Wives," that is VERY dated but suggests how to go about this), and talking to him when he's feeling crappy some morning and talking about how lousy he feels. Ask him if he'd be willing to take a look at the AA book. If he's ready to stop feeling like crap, maybe he'll go to a meeting or two. Maybe he'll decide he's not quite ready to take it that far. Still, maybe plant a seed.

I totally agree you can't MAKE anyone get sober, but there's nothing wrong, IMO, about sharing in a helpful way something that might save his life. But you do want to step back and let him take it from there.